Monday 5 August 2013

List of Prepositions with examples



Prepositions can be described as words that are used to connect nouns, pronouns and phrases in a sentence.  Prepositions illustrate the relation between the words it connects. Prepositions can be broadly divided into three categories:

  1. -          Prepositions of time
  2. -          Prepositions of place
  3. -          Prepositions of movement


Some examples of preposition are:

up, down, behind, beside, at, on, over, below, about, above, beyond, along, aside, between, beneath, in spite of, instead of, into, like, near, since, through, towards, under, for, with, upon, except, because of, inside, outside, until, etc. 

Let’s look at a detailed preposition list with examples:


1.    Aboard: We went aboard the plane.
2.    Above: Our plane was flying above the clouds.
3.    Across: The shop is located across the road.
4.    At: He’s at home.
5.    Behind: the store is located behind the college.
6.    Below: He’s hiding below the table.
7.    Beside: the river runs beside their house.
8.    By: They are coming by car.
9.    Considering: The prices are way too high considering the poor quality of the products.
10.    Close to: They stay pretty close to each other.
11.    Down: The police ran down the hill to catch the thief.
12.    During: She fell asleep during the presentation.
13.    Due to: The match was cancelled due to bad weather conditions.
14.    Except: You can have anything except this pen.
15.    For: This is for you.
16.    From: I was prevented from entering the house.
17.    Given: They are quite fine, given the adverse conditions.
18.    In: They live is an apartment.
19.    Inside: It was dark inside the room.
20.    Into: The dog jumped into the well.
21.    Like: He’s a lot like his brother.
22.    Near: The cafe is near the stationary store.
23.    Of: The house is located at the end of the road.
24.    Off: Please take your shoes off before entering the temple.
25.    On: How many times have I told you not to sit on the table?
26.    Outside: I live in Oakville. It’s outside Toronto.
27.    Owing to: They cancelled their swimming plans, owing to the cold weather.
28.    Past: I saw him yesterday when he drove past his school.
29.    Prior to: I never spoke Italian prior to living in Italy.
30.    Regarding: I need to talk to you regarding the trip.
31.    Respecting: I am writing to her respecting our latest products.
32.    Regardless of: The clothes were pretty cheap regardless of their high end brands.
33.    Since: I haven’t seen her since Friday.
34.    Than: My house is bigger than yours.
35.    Through: The train went through a tunnel.
36.    Throughout: I was busy throughout the day.
37.    Till: I work from 10 am till 7 am.
38.    To: I wanted to give it to him.
39.    Towards: I drove off towards the beach.
40.    Under: The box is kept under the bed.
41.    Until: We should wait until she comes.
42.    With: I live with my parents.
43.    Without: She listened without speaking even once.
44.    Worth: The house is worth $5 million.
45.    With reference to: I am writing with reference to your order.

No comments:

Post a Comment